How To Prevent Electric Shocks In The Home

Injuries caused by electric shocks can vary from minor to fatal, and often times these accidents are brought on by our own carelessness when we become exposed to electrical energy.

To minimise your chances of experiencing an electric shock at home, S A Wilde Electrical offers the following tips to help keep you and your loved ones safe.

Cover Your Sockets

One of the easiest ways to prevent electric shocks is to cover your sockets with a power socket protector when not in use. This is especially important if you have young and inquisitive children at home.

Power boards can present a huge safety risk if not treated with care. Here are some helpful tips to ensure you use them in the safest way.

In the event that you accidentally drop an appliance into water while it is switched on, don’t attempt to retrieve it or unplug it. The safest thing you could do in this instance is to switch off the power circuits in your fuse box. Once the circuit is switched off, you can safely unplug and remove the appliance from the water. Ensure that it is completely dry before taking it to your electrician for tests to be carried out. This way, you’ll know if your appliance is still functional and safe to use.

Electrical appliances and water just don’t mix, so be sure to keep all appliances away from wet areas such as pools, baths, sinks, and laundry tubs. You should also refrain from using electrically powered tools outdoors in wet conditions.

Practice Caution Around Power Boards

  • Power boards that comply with Australian Safety Standards are the safest to use, especially if they come with overload protection built in.
  • Each power board has a maximum load, so be sure not to overload it with heavy-use appliances (irons, heaters, dryers etc.) as these can cause a tripped circuit, or worse – fire.
  • Ensure that plugs are fitted firmly into the socket before switching on the power board.
  • Do not touch the metal prongs when removing a plug.
  • Do not add double adaptors to power boards, as this can increase the risk of overloading.
  • Do not spray cleaners or detergents directly onto a power board.

Replace Faulty Wall Plates And Damaged Equipment

If your wall plates are loose, broken, or cracked, your risk of coming in contact with the electrical energy is significantly higher. This is the same for any equipment that gives off a burning electrical smell, frequently trips your circuit breaker, gives small electric shocks, or has frayed wires.

If you have faulty equipment that needs to be fixed, don’t hesitate to get in touch with the experienced team at S A Wilde Electrical today. Call us on 0431 832 430 to learn more and arrange an appointment that’s convenient for you.